Kruger National Park intense
Certainly one of the highlights of South Africa is a visit to the Kruger National Park. I suggest to stay in two private game reserves for different experiences: Sabi Sands, Timbavati, Kapama or Thornybush.
Depending on the location of the lodge, you can take the connection flight from Johannesburg to Hoedspruit (HDS) or Nelspruit (MQP). Some lodges include a transfer from the airport, or else, I can book a transfer for you.
Here is a suggestion for a Kruger Park intensive itinerary, which can be combined with a tour of the Gardenroute and / or Cape Town.
- DAY 1-3 / KAPAMA GAME RESERVE
- On arrival at Hoedspruit airport, you will be transferred to Kapama Game Reserve
Kapama Private Game Reserve is an African Eden. Sweeping across 13 000 hectares of savannah and riverine forest, Kapama represents a piece of Africa as it used to be. With the mighty Drakensberg mountains in the distance and iconic Kruger National Park to the east, Kapama has distilled the finest wildlife safari offerings for the enjoyment of guests. As part of the greater Kruger area, vast herds of buffalo, elephant and antelope are resident on Kapama, along with plentiful predators. The reserve is a slice of wilderness paradise far from the madding crowd; a place of renewal and reconnection with the natural world.
Kapama Buffalo Camp offers the ultimate luxurious tented accommodation experience. Built from natural stone and wood, the luxury game lodge has an old world atmosphere while being completely contemporary. All comforts are catered for in the plush tented suites and throughout this carefully appointed luxury safari lodge, with décor accent colours of burnt red and gold.
Here is the daily routine of the lodge:
- Early wake-up call between 5am and 5:30am. Tea, coffee and rusks before heading out at first light. -Halfway through the game drive, there’s a stop for hot drinks and snacks, before returning to the lodge at around 9am for a full breakfast.
- At around 3:30pm, everyone gathers for a decadent high tea, before heading out with your ranger and tracker for the afternoon game drive through the reserve.
En route, you’ll stop for a sundowner drink and will have a chance to stretch your legs as you watch the sun set over the distant peaks of the Drakensberg mountains.
As darkness falls, the nocturnal animals of the bush come out. The skilled tracker will scan the landscape using a spotlight, which illuminates animals’ eyes
- Arrival back at the lodge at round 7pm, allowing time to freshen up before enjoying a sumptuous dinner.
- DAY 3-6 / SABI SANDS
- After early morning game drive and breakfast, you will be transferred to the next lodge.
Sabi Sands is famous for its big five and has the highest concentration of leopard in the world. It offers cat lovers a chance to meet the stars of the Simbambili Leopard Project an online journal of the life of three leopards Saseke (the beautiful one), Mafufenyane (the angry one) and Nyaleti (the star) - face to face in their natural habitat.
Simbambili Lodge is situated among dense stands of knobthorn and jackalberry trees along the meandering Manyeleti River in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, part of the world-renowned Kruger National Park.
With its Morroccan-styled suites that have been sensitively designed to blend with the environment and carefully positioned to enhance privacy, this is a must for the romantic at heart. Each suite with its own plunge pool and Sala overlooking the watering hole.
This exquisite Lodge is famed for its regular Leopard sightings and abundance of general game species as well as extraordinary bird life. With the Lodge accommodating a maximum of 16 guests, public areas carefully designed to resemble hospitality akin to a comfortable home with specially prepared meals and venues for entertaining and relaxation.
A typical day:
The day starts as dawn breaks over the African bushveld. After your early morning wakeup call. Shortly after, you depart in your open landrover with your experienced Rangers and Trackers who will share their extensive knowledge of the bush with you.
After an exhilarating hunt for tracks to see what the animals have been up to during the night, and tracking down whatever you find, you will stop somewhere out in the bush for a break of coffee & tea.
After a sumptuous Breakfast is served either back at the camp or in the riverbed or bush, guests are offered walks to suit their interests and fitness levels and are accompanied by an armed ranger and tracker. The rest of the day is spent at the discretion of the guest for other activities that we offer, with a late lunch served around 3.00pm. Lunch is followed by the afternoon game drive and extends into the evening to view seldom seen nocturnal species by torchlight.
Upon returning for a gourmet 3 course dinner, either in the boma, bush or lodge - guests can socialize with a cognac, single malt or cigar around the campfire or lounge before returning to bed for another day's adventure.
- DAY 7 / GOOD BYE
- After an early morning game drive and breakfast, check out and transfer to Nelspruit airport for flight to Johannesburg.
|No of guests||Price||Note|
|2||R32,400.00||per person sharing|
|1||R16,260.00||per person single surcharge|
- transfer HDS airport to Kapama Game Reserve
- 3 nights at Buffalo Camp in luxury tents fully inclusive
- transfer Kapama to Simbambili Lodge
- 3 nights at Simbambili Lodge in luxury suite fully inclusive
- transfer Simbambili to MQP airport
- telephone calls
- shop purchases
- personal bar account, room minibar + sundowner drinks at Buffalo Camp
- international / domestic flights